2. Formal Letter to My Instructor

Dear Professor Blackstone,

My name is Tan Ye Xiong, and I am currently a first-year student at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). I am writing this letter to share my reflections on my educational background, communication strengths and weaknesses, my goals for this module, as well as what sets me apart from others.

My educational background has played a crucial role in shaping my interest in engineering. During my primary and secondary school years, I excelled in both Mathematics and Science, which provided me with a solid foundation. This eventually led to my graduation from Nanyang Polytechnic with a diploma in Engineering with Business. I am now pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering at SIT.

In terms of communication, one of my strengths is active listening, which allows me to understand others' perspectives. This helps me accurately interpret the needs, concerns, or suggestions of others. However, one weakness I have is with presentations. I often feel anxious before presenting, which causes me to rush through my points, making it difficult for the audience to fully grasp the message I am trying to convey.

For this module, I have set two specific goals. Firstly, I aim to enhance my critical thinking skills by learning how to approach engineering problems from multiple perspectives and develop effective solutions. Secondly, I hope to improve my communication skills, particularly by gaining more confidence in presentations. This includes working on presenting information more clearly and engagingly so that my audience can follow my points.

What sets me apart from others is my strong analytical and strategic thinking abilities. I am adept at breaking down complex problems into smaller components and formulating effective plans to address them.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter, and I look forward to honing my skills throughout this module.

Yours Sincerely,
Tan Ye Xiong

Comments

  1. A very concise and straight-forward letter. However, missing a slight bit of info regarding yourself, such as what inspired you to take on a degree in mechanical engineering? All in all if you can try to elaborate more about yourself, it will help in allowing the letter to resonate to its readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ye Xiong,

    Thank you for your self-introductory letter, I do feel like I know you better after reading it. However, you should also include your passion, and why did you choose to pursue a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
    It is also good that you know what your strengths and weaknesses are, so that you can continue to hone your strengths while improving on your weaknesses.

    Hope we get the chance to work together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ye Xiong, great self-introductory letter. However, apart from your academic strengths in Math and Science, was there a driving factor in pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering? It would be nice to know more about your interests. Nonetheless, I look forward to working with you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ye Xiong,

    Thank you very much for this well organized and informative letter. You address the key points and elaborate with decent detail. I'm particularly impressed by how you connect your initial interest in engineering with how well you performed in mat and science as a youngster.

    If there is anything here to work on here in a 2nd draft it might be the overuse of capital letters in the first and second paragraphs.

    Thanks once again for the fine introduction.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1. Quote Interpretation

3. Initial Research Pathway